Error 2140 DHCP Client
Bob
2003-08-18 02:18:26 UTC
I am not sure if this is the proper forum group or not,
but I was instructed to go here from another Microsoft
forum description.

I will describe some of the hardware and operating system
for our network first.

Server:
Pentium III 500 MHz CPU
512MB Ram
Adaptec AHA-2940U2W SCSI controller
Two mirrored 8 Gb SCSI 2 hard drives (Data storage)
A Western Digital 1 GB SCSI hard drive (operating system,
tape backup software, etc.)
HP DAT 24 SCSI tape drive
HP CD Writer 9100 series (IDE)
Mitsumi CD drive (IDE)
Ethernet Card 100X
Windows NT 4.0 SP5 operating system

Router etc.:
Addition Technology ADR-E200 Router Server
Paradyne MVL DSL Modem
HP ProCurve Switch 4000M

Our objective was to get the server brought up to Service
Pack 6 for NT and also update the newest fix for the
recent worm attacking certain Windows operating systems.
Our network workstations consist of a varied number of
computer types and operating systems (i.e. Win 95, Win 98
SE, & Win NT 4.0 SP6) all, which have Internet
capabilities except the server. We were able to download
an executable from a workstation that has Internet
connection capability and then copied it to the server's
desktop. When trying to execute the file, it states that
the server does not have an Internet connection and stops
the installation process. We tried to install IE 5.5
three different times and it wasn't successful. The
installation seems to go well until we tried to initialize
IE. We would try to use the connection wizard and it
would not find the connection.

We then looked at the Service feature in the Control Panel
and saw that the DHCP Manager was set to Automatic and
Started. The DHCP Client was disabled. We set it to
Automatic and tried to start service. It would go through
a start process and then a popup error would show on the
screen the following:
"Could not start the DHCP Client on ||Server. Error 2140
an internal Windows NT error occurred."

We know this system isn't the latest technology, but we
are a small business that has had their share of economic
hard times. We appreciate any constructive input that can
be shared. We have relied in the past on outside IT
services that frankly we no longer have faith in. We hope
that we have provided enough information that someone may
be capable in pointing us in the right direction. If
there is any other data that is needed to make a proper
assessment, please forward the request.

Questions:
1. Can the server be a DHCP manager and a client?
2. If so, what steps do we need to implement?
3. Are we asking for problems having our server
connected?
4. Is the router enough of a firewall to keep the
server safe?

Thanks,
Bob
Derek Harris
2003-08-31 04:48:40 UTC
Post by Bob
[...]
Hi Bob,
It's not clear as to whether your 'server' is NT4 server or NT4
workstation i9n a workgroup.
Generally, a router using NAT will act as a firewall against hackers but
will not stop viruses/trojans/worms.
NT4 server cannot get its LAN card IP address via DHCP but can get one via
dial-in on a modem.
When you download ie, there will be an option to download and install
later. Select this. You can then install without an Internet connection.
Best regards,
Derek Harris